Sunday, January 23, 2011

Developing Stages......

Product development is an interesting process. Not knowing where to start, I looked up things on the great wide web, and then from there, things have developed, reactions varied, and now, I think I have a pretty solid idea of what I need to do for certain products. The creative side of this business is very appealing, and the business side of things is very daunting. I need to get some ducks in line about exactly how does unemployment work for someone who is on it and trying to start a business, and then from there, I need to figure out a merchant account and then we *might* be ready for launch! Launching the website and starting to take orders might be the next logical step, because I'm to a point where I've made most of the products I would like to sell, successfully, I might add, and I'll just be wasting money if I sit and wait until the "opportune" moment. I may be upon my moment and just don't realize it yet. But I can't be afraid of what lies ahead. I know what I want and I have to just reach out and grab it. Even if it means taking a few steps in the dark before I find what I'm reaching out too. Just need to believe it's there.

On the product development note, I did have one failure this week. The sugar lip scrub. I think I will have to find a different way to do the flavors, because the ones that I found seem to be a bit on the way too strong side, the passionfruit and cherry both have a faint reminiscent flavor of cough syrup. bleh. I did however, have a successful try for a salt scrub, which means that I have one complete line of product done and ready to be photographed for the website! My plan is to go live with photos of examples of the different products I have, and then add photos of new products as they are ordered. It will save me a little bit of start-up money I think. All of the different kinds will be available and listed on the site, but just not all the pictures.

The last part of this whole product development thing is that I need to finish coming up with names for everything. So far I have nothing for my Jasmine line, and I'm going back and forth on a few of the names for other things. I also am back to searching for a solid bubble bath bar recipe. I would love to find something I can mold and shape like my soaps so I can make fun combinations :)

~m