Sunday, February 6, 2011

Marketing & Advertising vs. the American Consumer

So the fact that I'm starting a business means that I've been paying more attention the marketing and advertising, like commercials. If you peel back the layers of music, lights and the Americanized standard of beauty actors, alot of the messages are mostly boiled down to this "Drink/eat/use ______, HOT women/men will have sex with you" Really? Is that really what drives the Amercian consumer? Sex? That's it? You would think, that for something that only lasts for a short while, that less people would fall for that. But I guess the old saying is right. Sex is like air. It's not important unless you're not getting any.
So what am I to do about marketing for my product? Do I follow suit? I would like to say that I'm above it all and that sometimes you just have to stick with what works. I'm hoping that since the mission of my store & it's products is to make your home your sanctuary, (not just smell good so you'll be attractive to the opposite sex enough so that they will take you home for a night), that I will have other marketing options.
Had a good talk with a friend who works for a marketing research company in Seattle, and we discussed some options for what I can do in the future, mailers and interactive type marketing, but for now, I'm going to use the tools that are available to me: the interwebs and social networks. Now I hope that people are reading this blog, and that if they like what they read they will tell their friends, but I need to figure out how to cast a wider net. So I'm going to try to go to some local Farmer's Markets during the summer, and try to hit some fairs and local town celebration days and get a booth and sell at the craft fairs. I hope that this will give me more exposure to a wider audience and that I will get some orders from that. I'll have to figure out if it's cost effective to do that, but we'll see. I hate the old adage of having to spend money to make money, because it seems to me the people who make the most money hardly spend any at all.
I'm thinking I'm just a few weeks from officially "opening my doors" for business, just need to get the merchant pay gateway set up, which I've found one and am working on that part of it, and after that, I'll be offering a special promotion code for my blog readers to use for their first order!
Stay tuned! Big things are just around the corner :)

Wishing you bubble-filled dreams tonight
~m